Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Homemade Donuts...Yum.



My monthly meeting of the Belletristic Skirt Society was last night. The hostess had decided on breakfast for our food theme. I took the donut angle, but decided instead of buying them at Krispy Kreme to make them from scratch. Here's how it went...

Basic cake donuts-

* 4 1/2 c flour
* 4 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 c sugar
* 2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
* 1 c milk
* 1 tsp vanilla


Sift together the dry ingredients. (I, as you will see, forgot to do this, but it worked out ok.)

Beat eggs and sugar until light.

Add butter, milk, and vanilla.

Add dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough is formed.






Do not over mix. If dough is too soft to roll, chill it for an hour. You can roll dough out of a floured surface, flatten, and cut with donut cutters. However, I just used a small spoon and took the dough straight from the bowl.

Fry in 370 degree oil until golden on both sides, turning once.


Remove from oil, hold over hot oil for a few minutes to drain, and then finish draining on absorbent paper. Recipe makes 3 dozen.

I made a glaze by boiling 1/3 water and mixing in 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar. It didn’t come out as thick as I wanted it to, so I ended up rolling the donut holes in the glaze. Then I put them in a bag of sugar, or sugar/cinnamon mixture, and shook to coat the donuts.






(The only bags I had were left over Santa bags..)

I also rolled them in the glaze and dusted them with powdered sugar.







They turned out pretty good. I didn't care for the nutmeg, but Andre said that was why he liked them. Everyone at book club loved them, and wanted to take some home. I will definitely make them again sometime.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! Those look amazing.

Jules said...

They were a big hit! We all want more!

Unknown said...

They were delicous... I think donuts and fluff should be at book club every time :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...